Wednesday, January 16, 2008

willie... where for art thou?

We found out that Bill Clinton was going to be speaking at UCD in the evening. So Stef, Mike, Rebecca, Mark, Andrew and I got on line about 2 hours before the doors opened. . . it was cold.

The audience reacted to him like any super-rock-star. . .
We were also joined by Michael and Christine:
Apparently there were 7800 people crowded into the basketball gym, AND thousands were turned away at the door. Not bad. Even Clinton talked about how as president you always enter the room to rockin' music - hard not to feel like a superstar...

Bill spoke for one full hour, solely for Hillary's campaign. It was great to see him again - his oration skills are like noone else we've ever heard...

from the Sacramento Bee :

"Former President Clinton electrified a raucous audience of young voters Tuesday night at the UC Davis Pavilion, touting his wife, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton, as an experienced agent of change who would lead a "comeback for our country." "The most important thing is this," he said to the standing-room-only crowd. "In order to be president and succeed, you have to be able to turn your good intentions into positive changes in other people's lives ... . I've never met someone better at making change than her." Clinton, who spoke for nearly an hour, drew about 7,800 people, mostly students, and 3,500 more were turned away at the door, according to a UC Davis spokesman. Before the event, the line was so long it wrapped around the pavilion and the nearby football field. The crowd chanted "Bill! Bill! Bill!" as the former president entered. For much of the speech, Clinton served as a character witness for his wife of 32 years. . . ."

Thank you Stef for documenting the night!

4 comments:

Daniela said...

heh.

Leigh, do you remember when Gore came to the Wes gym in 1992? 'Twas pretty packed but probably not as much as it was last night for you guys and Bill. Is California one of the Super Tuesday states?

Minnesota is and Eric spends a lot of his free time knocking on people's doors! (Obama)

We have a caucus here, which will be interesting. Only it's not really a caucus for the presidential nomination- for that you can show up at anytime during the caucus and fill out a presidential ballot. But it *is* a caucus for the US Senate seat...and other various resolutions or whatnot that people want the state convention to address. It's all very odd. Eric knows more about it (he's been to a couple of caucus trainings even) but it will be interesting to see something so different!

leigh said...

D - I didn't see Gore in 1992 for some reason i don't recall. BUT, I saw Bill Clinton in 1992 at the Radisson Hotel in Cromwell, CT. Then I saw Gore in 1996 in the Wesleyan gym where everyone chanted "4 more years". At Brown (in the hockey arena), I saw Hillary win a Woman Leader award and give a talk in 2006, and Bill spoke about policy in 2005. They were both incredible speakers.

I can't wait to hear more about the MInnesota caucus - it seems so archaic - or possibly just truly democratic??

As for CA - our vote is on Feb 5th. I have not decided yet, so Eric needs to knock on my door to debate Obama/Hillary.

Eric said...

I'd be happy to talk about it with you any old time!

Daniela said...

Well, maybe that's when I saw Gore. No, never mind, it was definitely 1992. I didn't go in '96 (why not, I wonder, after all Judy's house was across.the.street from the gym. Prolly I was working). Yeah, I saw Bill in Cromwell too! It's really quite impressive that both of them coming so close by the Middletown...