I'm seeing Bruce tonight, here's the review from last night. . . apparently CA is far from NJ.
October 25 / Oakland, CA / Oracle Arena
Notes: The first Magic show on the West Coast, and a solid one for the Bay Area, though there was the typical drop in audience effusiveness. A thunderous performance of "Backstreets" was met with relatively little reaction, and there seemed to be less audience familiarity with the new material. The crowd behind the stage was very enthusiastic, though, and Bruce and Clarence played to them quite a bit. And of course, Bruce having to work hard to get the crowd into it ain't always a bad thing. "Adam Raised a Cain" absolutely killed, with a screaming lead from Bruce, and he eventually got everyone singing along on "Girls in Their Summer Clothes" in the encore. "Your Own Worst Enemy" came out for just the third time, and it was the only moment when the band, rather than the crowd, seemed tentative; Bruce turned up the bandleader juice, though, and it picked up as it went along. "Thunder Road" in the encore again comes across as rejuvenated, a song Springsteen wants to play. When he comes to the edge of the stage with that old battered Esquire, letting the front row bang away at it to "make it talk," you better believe "Thunder Road" has the power to move even the most reserved crowd.
1 comment:
Strange Californians. I hope your crowd is better. Which reminds me, I need to listen to new album (Eric has it).
Thunder Road is one of my favorite songs EVER EVER EVER in this whole wide world. (the re-released version on the 30th anniversary of Born to Run just kills me, anytime I listen to it once, I have to listen to it about 5 more times in a row). I hope they play it when we see Bruce next week.
And I dunno, if someone is failed to be moved by Thunder Road...they must be...dead? So I'm glad they picked up in the end.
I'd tell you to have a good time, but that's already a done deal, no? Have you ever not enjoyed a Bruce show?!
Post a Comment