Saturday, February 24, 2007

Davis - Day 2




Okay, so we successfully assembled our new dining room table. Now, what are we going to do about that hideous light fixture?! Tomorrow we will find a more interesting replacement. Meanwhile, we spent most of the morning at the DMV - getting our car inspected, taking driver and motorcycle exams. Fun fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had to take a driving test?? Weird! I don't know that I'd pass a written exam these days...though I like to think I'd do better on the driving part than I did at 16. I guess licensing requirements must vary by state...I definitely didn't have to take a new driver's test when I moved from NH to RI.

Love the table! I hope you find worthy chairs soon.

Eric said...

We had to take a written test here in Minnesota (only state of the 5 I've moved to since getting a DL) and I FAILED the first time (got 'em all right the 2nd time around). It was the most insane test I've ever seen. Questions like: how much space must you have between a bike and your car if you're passing? a. 2 feet b. 3 feet c. 4 feet d. one car width. Or like: a vehicle with a slow-vehicle symbol (the orange triangle you see on tractors on the highway and Amish carts, etc.) is designed to go less than a. 10 mph b. 25 mph c. 30 mph d. 40 mph.

IT GOES SLOW-- THAT's what you need to know, wouldn't you think? But no...

So beware. I hope California's test is not as nasty as MN's.

Oh, and they don't even give you your license once you pass the test-- they invalidate your old one and give you a receipt, then mail you the new license in 4-6 WEEKS! Arg! So now any time we're asked for ID we have to pull out the old license plus the folded up piece of paper....

Can you tell this whole episode annoyed me?

Daniela said...

I think the table is super cool.

Lighting fixtures- why do they tend towards the hideous??? Hope you find a good one.

One was supposed to take the written test in Indiana but I refused. So I just broke the law for two and a half years. Those tests, they are a load of crap because I got one wrong on the MN one, my brother got 8 wrong and my mom 9 wrong. And Eric is the best driver of all of us and he failed (once). So clearly the test means almost nothing!