Thursday, February 15, 2007

Nashville to Memphis


















Again, I apologize for the sideways photos - can't figure out how to fix that right now. . .

Confession: we did not get very far today. . . After driving 4 hours from Nashville, we arrived in Memphis, a seemingly very cool town. On Eric and Daniela's recommendation, we went to Rendezvous for a traditional Memphis BBQ - yummy!

Then we went to the Rock 'N Soul Museum. The museum is run by the Smithsonian Institution and discusses the story of Memphis musicians and the racial barriers they overcame, as well as the Civil Rights battles in Memphis.

We then tried to visit the Gibson guitar factory which was closing up at 4PM. So we drove 10 miles to Graceland, only to discover that it closed at 4PM as well. We decided to stay in Memphis overnight so we could visit Elvis tomorrow morning.

Instead, we drove back into downtown Memphis and visited the National Civil Rights Museum - located at the site of MLK Jr.'s assassination. The museum is very dense - discussing the Civil Rights movement in its entirety. We did not have nearly enough time to appreciate the museum, but it was fascinating to be at the site. Above, I included the famous image on the balcony of the hotel after the assassination.

After dropping off our valuables at a hotel near Graceland, we drove back into downtown and walked Beale Street. At the B.B. King Blues Club, we got dinner and saw a the house band and a great singer (Z-Da) do blues and soul covers. It was great to see some live music...

Tomorrow - Graceland, Little Rock (Clinton library and the High School), then Oklahoma City.

[approximately 212 miles]

2 comments:

Daniela said...

I know- I've never seen a museum with SO much information as the Civil Rights Museum!!! We spent a couple of hours there and I read like 1/4 or less.

Feeling jealous of you guys at the Rendezvous! Isn't it funny, how the entrance is on an alley and then it turns out to be this cavernous, huge, bustling restaurant...

Eric said...

Yummm.... Rendezvous ribs..... Yeah, I forgot to mention the Rock & Soul Museum-- it's really amazing, though D and I didn't make it there when we visited so she's never seen it. Next time.