Monday, August 27, 2007

yumiko's wedding

Amy and Tom:
Yumiko's middle school friends David and Petra (with the Hudson River in the background):
Mr. Takagi, Jamil, and Miks:

Tom and Andrew:



Leigh, Amy, Yumiko, and Meri:

Yumiko and her sisters Fumiko and Masiko:

4 comments:

Daniela said...

Yumiko looks lovely! And the photo with her sister-- what babes!

So, what's the story behind the hammers? I gather it's something traditional? It reminds me (of course) of the Sao Joao festival in Portugal, where you hit people on the head with plastic hammers...You've heard us talk about that many times, no?

leigh said...

Yes, I have lost inspiration to explain anything in the blog - you caught me being lazy - sorry about that. . .

Apparently it is Japanese tradition for the bride and groom to break open a barrel of sake in celebration and for everyone to drink sake together. So, of course, the pictures you see here.

Yes, the Takagi girls are gorgeous and all have such wonderful senses of style.

No, I don't know the hammer tradition in Portugal - do tell!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making us part of your blog! What an honor. The mallets are used to break open the barrel of sake. It's a Japanese custom which is performed before any kind of celebration or special occasion. The crossing of the mallets, however, was improvised by us and has nothing to do with the tradition. Photos look great. I'm so happy you and Andrew were there to celebrate with us!!!

Anonymous said...

The upside to being so terribly delayed in my blog-reading is that when I have a question on a post, there's a good chance someone will have already asked it and you (or perhaps someone of even greater authority) will have already answered it. My bad habits are being reinforced.

Looks like a great celebration!